It is the Mission of First National Bank, Cortez, to provide comprehensive financial services and solutions to our customers, and to do so in a manner which reflects our commitment to being Your Bank…Face To Face. This is expressed through superior service, responsiveness and a relationship-based approach to banking. We will deliver our services in a manner conducive with sound banking principles and will embrace fiscal and personal integrity in all our actions, while seeking to provide a reasonable rate of return on the investment of our shareholders.
The Values of First National Bank, Cortez, include but are not limited to:
- Providing exceptional service to those who rely upon us
- Offering a full array of value-driven accounts and financial services
- Providing loan solutions for creditworthy customers throughout our trade area
- To invest in the lives and success of people in Cortez and Montezuma County
- To embrace fiscal integrity in our operations
- To pursue individual integrity among our professional staff
- To serve as an active corporate citizen
- To provide a reasonable rate of return on the investment of our shareholders
- To be the bank of choice in Cortez and Montezuma County
- To attract and retain a staff of bankers who are well-trained and who share a common commitment to relationship-based, service-driven banking
In June 1881, William F. Ordway came to the Dolores Valley with general merchandise and built a store in Big Bend. In 1886, "Bill" was appointed postmaster of Big Bend and asked the Harris Brothers to open a mercantile in the new settlement. Banking was conducted at first as a matter of convenience to locals who had begun to make money from their ranching operations. When the Rio Grande Southern railroad built a line through Dolores (approx. 2 miles above Big Bend) the Harris Brothers built a brick building and moved their operation to Dolores in 1891.
In 1926, the Harris Brothers began closing out the mercantile because they both were ready to retire. At the same time, a new home for J.J. Harris & Co., Bank was being built in what now houses the Dolores bookstore. These new quarters were gradually outgrown and in 1953 a new pressed brick building was erected. (What used to be the Dolores State Bank Building which has been torn down and now is the parking lot for the new Dolores State Bank Building).
In June 1957, approval was given by appropriate governmental agencies for a national bank In Cortez. The First National Bank was to be located on the corner of Main and Elm Streets. Wilkes Bozman was named President and McGechie Construction Co. was awarded the construction bid in October of that year. In January 1958, stockholders of J.J. Harris Bank voted to consolidate with the First National Bank of Cortez. The bank opened for business on May 29,1958.
Through the years the original First National Bank, Cortez building was added on to several times and the building still remains at Main and Elm Street.
In the fall of 2010, First National Bank, Cortez began building their new state of the art building at 2258 East Main Street. It was completed in early 2011.
First National Bank, Cortez “Your Bank, Face to Face” since 1886!